Información por país


1. International Family Mediation

Family mediation, in Japan, is legally recognised, commonly implemented and encouraged by the State. In divorce case, conciliation (in-court mediation) is mandatory before the case can be heard by the Family Court. According to the Act on Promotion of Use of Alternative Dispute Resolution (2004), mediation is provided by administrative organs and private institutions.

In disputes regarding international child abduction, international family mediation may be provided by Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Institutions commissioned by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as the Central Authority of Japan or offered by private professionals. If the decision of assistance has been provided by the Japanese Central Authority, the parties do not have to pay application and/or award fees for a certain number of sessions.

Tokyo Family Court and Osaka Family Court also handle conciliation (mediation) for disputes regarding international child abduction (websites in Japanese). No fee is required if return application under the Hague Convention is filed.

1) Japan is a Party to the 1980 Hague Convention.

The 1980 Hague Convention: a multilateral treaty which provides procedural guidelines on the return of children and their protection in cases of international parental child abduction.

Contact the Central Authority established in Japan for cases of child abduction (operational languages: English and Japanese). The Ministry of Foreign Affairs displays comprehensive practical information related to the implementation of the Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.

2) Japan is not a Party to the 1996 Hague Convention.

The 1996 Hague Convention: a multilateral treaty which determines jurisdiction, applicable law, co-operation in respect of parental responsibility and access rights, as well as civil and public measures for the protection or care of children. 

You can determine whether countries relevant to your case are Parties, or not, to the 1980 Hague Convention on International Child Abduction and/or the 1996 Hague Convention on Child Protection in order to locate the appropriate central authority. As for the 1980 Hague Convention, you can check whether the Convention is in force between two specific States in the Spreadsheet showing acceptances of accessions to the Child Abduction Convention.

International Social Service Japan (ISSJ) is a non-profit organisation that helps individuals, children and families confronted with cross-border social welfare issues. ISSJ provides psycho-social support and counselling to families in cases related to inter-country adoption, searching of origins, family reunification, marriage, divorce and separation, child abduction, contact and access rights. You can contact them directly here.

Japan Federation of Bar Associations (JFBA) provides the lawyer referral service for return of a child or access to a child to people who need the assistance of a lawyer in court proceedings or alternative dispute resolution (ADR) proceedings. The lawyer referral service is free of charge (legal fees are charged separately).

The Japan Legal Support Center (JLSC) was established as the central organisation providing legal assistance to Japanese citizens and foreign nationals who are residents in Japan for ordinary cases. For the 1980 Hague Convention cases, foreign residents may also get the assistance. Civil Legal Aid is provided to people having financial difficulties.

Home-Start Japan is a non-profit organisation providing home-visiting and practical assistance to young families experiencing difficulties. Its volunteers offer free-of-charge and confidential support to parents. You can find their office in your region here (page in Japanese).

4. Child Welfare Services

The Equal Employment, Children and Families Bureau of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare promotes the development of an environment that helps ensure the healthy development of children, and that people can raise their children with a sense of security through community childcare support, child abuse prevention measures, and enhancement of social childcare. You can contact the Ministry here:
1-2-2 Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku
100-8916 Tokyo, Japan
Telephone: 03-5253-1111
Email: www-admin(at)

Under the aegis of the Headquarters for Promotion of Child Abuse Prevention within the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Child guidance centers at local governments accept any type of consultation relevant to a child aged under 18, from anyone including the child, family, school teachers and local residents. Child welfare officer, child psychotherapist and medical doctor are in charge of specialized counselling and other services. 

Japan Network for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect based on the Orange Ribbon initiative, citizen movement calling for the elimination of child abuse, provides counselling as well as National child emergency hotline (website in Japanese). You can contact directly the Network at info(at)

Children’s Rainbow Center provides counselling and training in cases related to child abuse and adolescent turmoil. You can contact them here:
983 Gumizawa-cho, Totsuka-ku,
245-0062 Yokohama, Japan
Telephone: (+81) 045-871-8011
Email: info(at)

5. Support to Bi-National Couples, Cross-Cultural and Migrant Families

International Social Service Japan (ISSJ) is a non-profit organisation that helps individuals, children and families confronted with cross-border social welfare issues. ISSJ provides Support Services for Refugees and Asylum Seekers including counselling for asylum seekers and refugees on health, welfare, and social integration as well as support of refugee communities. You can contact them directly here.

Human Rights Counselling Offices for Foreigners are the Legal Affairs Bureaux and District Legal Affairs Bureaux providing human rights counselling services for foreigners throughout Japan.

The Immigration Bureau has established the Foreign Residents Information Centers to inform and advice foreign nationals.

WELgee is committed to empower vulnerable refugees and asylum seekers providing homestay, job-matching support and language learning services. You can visit their Facebook page or contact directly here:
Ebisu Garden Place Tower 27thfloor,
Ebisu 4-20-3, Shibuya-ku,
150-6027 Tokyo, Japan
Telephone: (+81) 80 3584 1991
Email: info(at)

Algunos hipervínculos que Usted encontrará en los textos de esta sección le dirigen hacia webs disponibles únicamente en la lengua oficial del país escogido. Existe la posibilidad de traducir estas páginas webs copiando y pegando la dirección URL en Google Translate. A continuación, elija una lengua de traducción y pulse sobre “traducir” para poder leer la página web entera.